March 4, 2018

Lately we've been practicing a different puppet technique– needle felting. It is much cheaper and faster than silicone casting so it's great for low budget productions. It can work for less realistic human characters and works very well for animal characters. It does t...

July 21, 2016

For the background we used a light blue fabric sheet stretched on the wall. In front of it we threaded lumps of acrylic fibers on a transparent nylon thread, tied to tripods from both sides. We used different amount of clouds according to the weather on each scene....

June 21, 2016

The yard

Making the yard was one of the most fun parts, a little like making miniature gardening.

First we built the stage - a few tables set and leveled together. Then we placed the house and started making the yard around it. We used a lot of organic stuff that we foun...

June 1, 2016

The process of building the house began as always with research. I looked at lots of images of old houses, and made a combination from some of them. Then I made the plan on Sketch Up in scale 1: 6 and I had the precise measurements of the walls and the roof.

To bui...

May 22, 2016

Beside the silicone puppets we had to make some animal toy puppets. Most of them were made with a simple wire armature except for the big bunny, that we needed to animate more than the others, so its armature is a little more complex. Making all of them took less time...

May 2, 2016

Making eyes

The eyes were made of 10 mm wooden beans. I filled the hole with Epoxy putty but not completely. I used a rounded head pin to make a socket for the iris and pocked it from the other side to make a small hole to place the eyes on a pin while painting them.


April 20, 2016

We used a very small scale (1:6) so we needed a very small armature. The smallest armature we found was almost not small enough, so I had to sculpt the model around the armature (And still needed to file the feet armature around to make it smaller). That created a lot...

April 12, 2016

The hands were made in a similar method as the head, only without the master model and the silicone mold steps.

The model

First I made a simple wire armature and covered it with NSP Chavant Plastecine. I modeled it with small tools until I got the right shape.

Making the...

April 2, 2016

The puppets parts were made separately and joined together after casting. At first we thought of making a whole body casting but there were too many details and too many things that could go wrong on the way, so we went for the separated way.

Tom made sketches for the a...

February 18, 2016

Hi everyone and welcome to our blog! Here we're going to tell you about our stop motion films, all about how the magic happens.

For the past year we've been working on our independent short film "Lili", a stop motion puppet film.

The film is about a girl who's stuck in h...

Please reload

Featured Posts